Wonder. Wisdom. Words. loves carrot cake and oatmeal, so this Morning Glory Oatmeal Recipe that includes wholesome steel-cut oats blended with freshly grated carrots, coconut milk, raisins and spices, then topped off with crunchy walnuts, is something special! A delicious gluten-free easily vegan breakfast that satisfies until lunch time. Recipe adapted from Megan Gordan -the Seattle-based food maker behind Marge Granola and author of the new cookbook Wholegrain Mornings.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup light organic coconut milk
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 2/3 cup organic unsweetened golden organic raisins
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp grated orange zest (about 1 1/2 oranges)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 + Tbsp organic maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- sea salt optional
- In a saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Stir in the oats, carrots, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Bring the mixture back to boil, then decrease the heat to low & partially cover the pot.
- Cook the porridge, without stirring, until it begins to thicken and the oats are soft yet chewy. Check the oat’s texture by stirring them after 25 minutes of cooking (it might need a few more minutes of cooking).
- Remove from heat and stir in the coconut flakes, orange zest and vanilla. Add maple syrup (or other sweetener), to taste. Cover and let the oatmeal rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Toast the walnut pieces in a pan over medium-low, tossing frequently, until the edges are golden and the walnuts smell nice and toasty.
- Serve the oatmeal with a sprinkling of walnuts and a splash of milk.
Whole-Grain Mornings: New Breakfast Recipes to Span the Seasons, Hardcover, by Megan Gordan, 2013.
From busy weekdays to slow Sundays, Whole-Grain Mornings will inspire readers towards healthy and delicious ways to incorporate whole grains into morning meals. With seasonally organized recipes, and information on time-saving alternatives as well as a guide to the most commonly used whole grains -and sprinkled with abundant food and lifestyle photography throughout, this cookbook guarantees the most important meal of the day will also be your favorite.