Don’t let the ‘vegan’ part of this recipe scare you. This is Goldilocks cornbread. It’s a little sweet, but not too sweet; a little salty, but not overly so. Using fine cornmeal or corn flour in the recipe, creates a texture that isn’t too rich or dense, and not quite cakey either. Everything about this cornbread is a delightful compromise. Its just right!
Vegan Cornbread, The perfect balance of savory & sweet, rich & light. A batch of cornbread is great to keep around this time of year, especially as an accompaniment for a seasonal soup or served warm for an afternoon snack. Quick & comforting. This pairs beautifully with homemade Pumpkin Butter for a special occasion or holiday treat!
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (or fresh squeezed lemon juice)
- 2 cups organic soy or almond milk (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups organic (non-GMO) finely ground white or yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink or sea salt
- 2 Tbsp organic maple syrup
- 1/3 cup organic coconut oil (melted/liquid)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk the apple cider vinegar and milk together vigorously and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt, and maple syrup.
- Add the oil to the milk mixture and then add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing until they are totally incorporated.
- Use a spoon or spatula to transfer the mixture into an 8 x 8-inch square baking dish and bake for 35 minutes, or until the top of the cornbread is firm and the edges are turning golden. Allow the bread to cool before serving.