For The Love Of Fire Cider. The change of season is Wonder. Wisdom. Words. favorite time to make a batch of fire cider for use Autumn into Winter. Fire cider has been used and shared by herbalists for generations as a remedy to ward off illness and promote health. If you don’t have a recipe, not to worry, you can pick up Rosemary Gladstar’s newest book! Here, Gladstar compiles 101 original recipes for fire cider, wonderful illustrations plus stories and songs, in celebration of the health-boosting tonic and the community of herbalists who make it, share it, use it, and love it. Forthcoming October 2019.
Traditional Fire Cider Recipe ~Excerpted From Fire Cider!
- ½ cup grated fresh horseradish root
- ½ cup or more chopped onions
- ¼ cup or more chopped garlic
- ¼ cup or more grated ginger
- Cayenne pepper, fresh (chop it up) or dried (flaked or ground), to taste
- Apple cider vinegar (preferably raw and organic)
- Place the herbs in a half-gallon mason jar and add enough vinegar to cover them by 3 to 4 inches. Seal the jar with a tight-fitting lid. Place the jar in a warm spot and let sit for 3 to 4 weeks. Shake the jar every day to help in the maceration process.
- After 3 to 4 weeks, strain out the herbs, reserving the liquid. Warm the honey (so that it will mix in well) and add it to the vinegar, to taste. “To taste” means your fire cider should be hot, spicy, and sweet. The honey also helps cool the heat, moistens, and balances all the fiery ingredients.
- Bottle, label, and enjoy! Fire cider will keep for several months unrefrigerated if stored in a cool pantry. Best to keep refrigerated.
- A small shot glass daily serves as an excellent tonic. Or take fire cider by teaspoons throughout the day if you feel a cold coming on. Take it more frequently, if necessary, to help your immune system do battle.
Fire Cider! 101 Zesty Recipes For Health-Boosting Remedies Made With Apple Cider Vinegar By Rosemary Gladstar, For decades, best-selling author and popular herbalist Rosemary Gladstar has been touting the health benefits of fire cider -a spicy blend of apple cider vinegar, horseradish, onion, ginger, garlic, and other immune-boosting herbs. Her original recipe, inspired by traditional cider vinegar remedies, has given rise to dozens of fire cider formulations created by fans of the tonic who use it to address everyday ills, from colds and flu to leg cramps and hangovers. Fire Cider! is a lively collection of 101 recipes contributed by 70+ herbal enthusiasts, with energizing versions ranging from Black Currant Fire Cider to Triple Goddess Vinegar, Fire Cider Dark Moonshine, and Bloody Mary Fire Cider. Colorful asides, including tribute songs and amusing anecdotes, capture Gladstar’s passionate desire to pass along the fire cider tradition.
Rosemary Gladstar has 40+ years of experiences studying and teaching about the healing properties of herbs. She is a renowned educator, author, activist, entrepreneur and founding director of Sage Mountain Herbal Retreat Center, the International Herb Symposium, the New England Women’s Herbal Conference, and United Plant Savers ~a nonprofit organization dedicated to the conservation and preservation of native American herbs. She was the original formulator for Traditional Medicinals and has led herbal educational adventures around the world. Gladstar lives in Vermont.